The end of the school year is approaching, and with it the summer homework. Many teachers will give their students some homework to review and prepare for the new course. Others, like Cesare Cata, a high school teacher at the Don Bosco Institute of Human Sciences in Le Marche (Italy), will leave a mark on their students just as Professor Keating (Robin Williams) did in “The Dead Poets Club”, with a list of duties that is revolutionizing Facebook.
In the list, which was published on his personal Facebook page, the typical math, language or anything like that exercises do not appear. The 15 items that make up the Cata’s homework alternative talk about life and how to know how to take advantage of it.
The list of “Summer 2015 Homework” is as follows:
- In the morning, from time to time, he walks alone along the seashore. Look how the sun reflects on the water, thinking about the things you like most in life and feel happy.
- Try to use all the new words you have learned this year: you will be able to say more things, you will be able to think more things, and the more you think, the freer you will feel.
- Read as much as possible. Not because you have to. Read because summer inspires adventures and dreams. Reading, you will feel like the birds flying. Read because it is the best form of rebellion.
- Avoid all things, situations and people that make you feel negative and empty. Look for stimulating situations and friends who appreciate you and understand you for who you are.
- If you feel sad or scared, don’t worry. Summer, like all great things, upsets the soul. Try keeping a diary where you can write about your feelings (and in September, if you want, we’ll read it together).
- Dance; without feeling ashamed. On the street near your house or in your room. Summer is a dance. It would be a shame not to be part of it.
- At least once, you have to see sunrise. Be there quietly and breathe. Close your eyes, grateful.
- Do a lot of sports.
- If you find a person you like very much, tell them with all the sincerity and grace that you are capable of. Nothing happens whether he understands it or not. If it is not reciprocal, then he/she was not intended to be part of your destiny. Otherwise, summer 2015 is the great opportunity to walk together (and if it doesn’t work, go back to point 8).
- Remember what you have learned in school and refer to your notes.
- Be happy as the sun, indomitable as the sea.
- Do not say bad words. Always be polite and gentle.
- Enjoy movies with emotional dialogue, especially in English. This will help you improve your language skills and your opportunities to dream. Don’t let the movie finish the credits. Live the experience all summer.
- During the day or night, dream about how your life can be. During the summer, gather strength not to give up and do everything you can to pursue that dream.
- Be good.
What do you think of these homework for the summer? Will you also propose them to your students?